As the leaves change and the air turns crisp, there’s nothing quite like a warm and comforting meal to cozy up with. Our Vegan Chickpea Chili and Rice recipe is the perfect culinary companion for the autumn season, providing not only a burst of flavors but also the hearty goodness that fall calls for.
Let’s delve into this delightful and easy-to-make recipe, tailor-made for the fall ambiance. IT’S SO YUMMY!
Cherry chili pepper a peanut butter crunch açai earl grey latte Caribbean a red habanero apricot Thai dragon pepper red lentil curry alfalfa sprouts, lingonberry apple vinaigrette chocolate cookie farro platter. Leek dark chocolate overflowing berries strawberry spinach a, salad roasted butternut squash hearty hemp seeds.
What makes this Vegan Chickpea Chili so great?
Autumn calls for hearty, soul-warming meals, and this vegan chickpea chili and rice dish fits the bill perfectly. Here’s why it’s a must-have for your fall recipe collection:
01. Comfort in a Bowl:
The combination of tender chickpeas, aromatic spices, and a medley of vegetables provides a sense of comfort and warmth that’s quintessential for fall.
02. Nutritious and Filling:
Chickpeas are a great source of plant-based protein and fiber, making this dish both nutritious and satisfying, keeping you energized during the cooler days.
03. Easy to Prepare:
With simple ingredients and straightforward steps, this recipe is ideal for busy fall evenings when you want a delicious homemade meal without spending hours in the kitchen.
Everything you need to make this chili:
- Chickpeas: Chickpeas, aka garbanzo beans, are the star of this dish. They add a hearty texture and are a rich source of protein and fiber.
- Onion Yellow Onion: Onions are a fundamental ingredient, providing a strong base flavor and aroma.
- Garlic: Garlic adds a wonderful depth of flavor and aroma to the dish, enhancing the overall taste.
- Bell Peppers: Bell peppers not only add color but also bring a sweet and slightly tangy taste
- Diced Tomatoes: Canned diced tomatoes offer convenience and provide a juicy tomato flavor.
- Tomato Sauce: Tomato sauce enhances the richness of the chili, adding a smooth and velvety texture.
- Herbs & Spices: This chili gets its incredible flavor from mild chili powder, cumin, and dried oregano.
- Vegetable Broth: Vegetable broth adds depth of flavor.
- Corn: Corn adds a touch of sweetness and texture to the chili.
Shop the Tools
*You can use this gallery to link affiliate products or replace it with LTK or Shop Style widgets.
Step 1: Cook the Rice
- Rinse 1 cup of brown rice and cook it according to the package instructions. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
Step 2: Prepare the Chickpea Chili
- Sauté chopped onion in 1 tablespoon of olive oil until translucent. Add minced garlic and chopped bell peppers, cooking until softened.
- Stir in spices (chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, salt, and pepper) and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and vegetable broth. Simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Mix in corn and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Step 3: Serve
- Spoon chickpea chili over cooked brown rice in individual bowls.
- Garnish with cilantro, avocado slices, green onions, or a squeeze of lime juice.
- Mix and enjoy this hearty vegan meal!
Meal Prep Friendly: Make a larger batch and store portions in the fridge or freezer for quick and easy meals throughout the week. It reheats well and can be a lifesaver on busy days.
Experiment with Herbs: Don’t hesitate to experiment with different herbs and spices like thyme, bay leaves, or cloves to create your unique pickle flavor profile.
Makes for a Great Gift: I love giving Homemade pickles as gifts! Package them in decorative jars with personalized labels for a thoughtful and tasty present.
More Chili Recipes:
Vegan Chickpea Chili & Rice (demo)
This Vegan Chickpea Chili is packed with bold and hearty flavors! It's quick & easy to make, so it's perfect for those busy weeknights.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion (diced)
- 1 green bell pepper (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 medium carrots (diced)
- 2 15.5-oz. cans chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 1 28-oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 15.5-oz. can black beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 cup veggie broth
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 bayleaf
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or pot over medium-high heat.
Add the onion, garlic, green pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
Cook, stirring often, until softened and fragrent – about 7 minutes.
Stir in the chickpeas, tomatoes, carrots, veggie broth, chili powder, cumin and oregano.
Raise the heat and bring to a boil.
Lower the heat and allow the chili to simmer for at least 30 minutes. Stir the occasionally and add water or more veggie broth to the pot if the chili becomes too thick.
While the chili is simmering, cook the rice and set aside.
Stir in the frozen corn and simmer the chili 5 minutes longer.
Remove pot from heat. Season the chili with salt and pepper.
Serve with the rice and top with cilantro, vegan sour cream or whatever toppings you prefer.
*This vegan chili only gets more flavorful as it sits, much like most soups. Making it in advance is recommended to allow the flavors to deepen and the ingredients to meld together.
*Nutrition information is only a rough estimate.